What were those sirens?
Former Site of Foresthill Auto Parts Burns
When fire crews were able to vent the roof The Forest Service was the first to respond with
flames shot up some twelve feet. Foresthill Fire on site shortly after.
From the Foresthill Messenger - Published: Friday, April 26, 2013 2:01 PM PDT
A fire broke out just after 10:30 am on Thursday April 25 in the building located to the front of Foresthill Trailer Park (at the corner of Mosquito Ridge Road and Foresthill Road).
The building was the former location for Foresthill Auto Parts, and was currently being used for storage by the owners of the property, according to fire department personnel.
The fire was first spotted by the Tahoe National Forest fire personnel at their base located nearby on Racetrack Street. They were the first responders on site with their Engine 42, according to Gary Kirk of the Foresthill Fire Protection District, and were able to assess the immediate area and played a big part in keeping the blaze from spreading to nearby homes. They contacted Foresthill Fire who expanded it to the 911 emergency system.
Responders from Auburn were called in as well, given the proximity of the blaze to the mobile homes located just behind the building. Had the blaze gotten away from the fire department it very well could have been disastrous for some of the residents of the park.
While the blaze is still under investigation, Kirk says that it appears it started in a pile of debris at the back of the building, spreading to the interior, where it was pretty much confined in the attic space. The building walls are concrete block, and according to fire fighters who responded the interior ceiling was constructed using one by twelve tongue and grove, which seemed to keep the active blaze in the attic, and posed some initial issues with venting the space.
When the fire crews vented the roof flames shot up some ten to twelve feet for a brief time, otherwise from the street it appeared there was more smoldering and smoke than actual flames. Reports are the attic and roof system sustained the most damage.
Rumors that someone had been living in the building are unsubstantiated and appear to be false based on conversations with the fire department. Until a final report of the cause and source of the blaze is available any indications of foul play or improper use of the building are just rumors.